Monday, March 29, 2010

Are You a Martian?

One out of eight planets in the solar system, Mars is by far the most interesting. Mars is named for the Roman God of War because of its red, blood-like surface. Mars is the only planet to have an atmosphere like ours. The biggest volcano in the solar system, called Olympus Mons is on Mars. It stands three times higher than Mount Everest! Two moons orbit Mars. One is named Phobos, meaning fear, and the other is named Deimos, meaning panic. Scientists think there was probably once water on Mars because of its canals and valleys. Mars is 142 million miles away from the Sun. I don't know about you but I think Mars is a pretty interesting place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Riley!
    It's Ms. Nierenberg here. I am sorry it has taken so long to post a comment on your blog, but I have loved reading it! I love to see your writing - I can tell that you're learning a lot about how to write in all different ways. What is your favorite type of writing? I just taught my 3rd graders all about sensory description and I really like the sensory description you are adding to your writing, especially in your story about Camp Freedom. It really made me feel like I was there! Do you remember when you wrote a play with David and Tara (I think!) last year? Your story "A Tale of Two Trolls" reminded me of that play. I hope you are having a great year and keep up the awesome writing!
    :) Ms. Nierenberg

    ReplyDelete