Monday, October 26, 2009

Problems faced by early settlers.

The early settlers experienced many problems. Some of the problems were finding food, getting malaria, a sickness caused by mosquitos, and keeping peace with the Indians. First, they had to find a way to get food. The settlers didn't have stores, and some didn't know how to hunt. Next, settlers got malaria from the mosquitos. Many of them died from the sickness. Lastly, they had to find a way to keep peace with the Indians. Pocahontas helped them keep peace when she married one of the settlers. The early settlers had many problems to solve in order to survive in the new land.

3 comments:

  1. Riley, I really enjoy your blog, especially since you don't send us many letters LOL! Really,this gives me an idea of what you're doing or what you're learning in school. It's really interesting,. Keep up the good work! -Grandma N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Sometimes it seems kind of exciting to think of how cozy things must have felt then in their homes with their famiy close by. But really, it was very hard and I don't think I would have enjoy having relativs dying of malaria, or having to eat whatever we could find growing wild or whatever meat someone was able to get from hunting, rather than getting what we wanted from the grocery store. I think it's a lot easier and more fun now. -Grandma N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Riley!
    My name is Marta, I'm an old friend of your parents'. Well, I'm not terribly old, but I've known them a long time. :) You probably don't remember me, but I met you when you were little bitty and living in Las Vegas.
    I just wanted to let you know that I think you are doing such a great job with your blog. I really enjoyed reading about the settlers. I also have to agree with Grandma Nikkel, it is a lot easier and more fun now! :)
    Happy Belated 10th Birthday!
    Marta

    ReplyDelete